Monday, March 30, 2020

Are they still making walkmans? (Post-Production Day #5)

The answer is, unfortunately, no, they have not been manufactured since 2010. Why start this blog post with a question about walkmans? Well, because they revolutionized what this post is about...MUSIC.

Over the weekend Jake and I worked on fixing my awful music choice. When Jake and I were going over the fixed I’d made to the audio, he questioned how late at night it was when I chose the music track for the scene. As you may remember from briefly listening to it, the score for the park scene bared a very close resemblance to the theme song from Pirates Of The Caribbean. Listen, it was around 3 am when I chose the song, at the time my sleep-deprived coffee-driven self thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Looking back at it now, I wonder where my head was at. 

Listen for yourself:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gE5In0YXi7KDVsjRAybXc2Mur5QVUQ-h/view?usp=sharing 

It was clear that the song had to be replaced, but neither of us knew with what song. We searched far and wide for a song that would fit the mood we were hoping to establish for this particular part of the competition. Jake and I use two different sites to find our music, Jake usually uses Youtube Library and I tend to use Universal Production Music (formerly Killer Tracks). 

I suggested a really fast rock song for the race as well! Cool right? Yeah! But after hearing it alongside our video, it made the visuals look somewhat underwhelming. This song screams GREAT HOLLYWOOD ADVENTURE and it doesn’t necessarily fit what Jake and I had in mind. So, having failed a second time, I gave the music finding responsibilities to Jake who started to dig through Youtube’s Audio Library and Doug up some cool choices. 

1) “The Coldest Shoulder”

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MQCcfEXAhtSPviHvsfR7aiKgliU4lB1D/view?usp=sharing

The moment I heard this one, I knew that it wouldn't fit the race but it doesn’t mean it was a bad choice, as a matter of fact, it makes for a good competitor for the ending tittle score. It’s simply too slow and too country to be a racing song, and it definitely didn’t fit the pacing. Still, it’s always good to have choices for later music decisions. 

2) “Don’t change a thing”
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wOENHwI-VDOuxEJD69IFInBs3J1MhMDb/view?usp=sharing 

This was a really cool score! Its low pounding base with electronic arrangements gave it an interesting tech vibe. We actually planned on using this score, I adjusted the volumes to fit the scene and everything. It seemed like our problem had been resolved and that we could move on; however, something sounded off to me. I told Jake that I definitely liked that one better than the rest for it still wasn’t the right pic. Something about it wasn’t sitting right. So naturally, Jake and I hopped on a FaceTime call to try to figure it out. 

While we were reviewing the scene, Jake agreed with me and started to search for a replacement. We hung up and in a matter of minutes, we were back on listening to “Sports_Action” which sounded absolutely perfect. And it was perfect! The visuals matched great with the track! 

3) “Sports_Action”
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16xjJHauE5oh8BUqXNzfP9jC5FRDsXdDC/view?usp=sharing

With the audio and soundtrack mixed, the nightmare of the park scene seemed far behind us. Jake will start piecing together the beach scene soon and then I’ll go micro-edit that one!

Signing off,

No comments:

Post a Comment