Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Put that on a T-shirt! : Making our production's logo (Post-Production Day #2)

Fellow night owls know that 1am-3am is prime working hours! Being awake during this time I decided to go onto canva.com (A great online digital design tool) and work on the logo for our film. I took about 1.5 hours to make about 11 different logo combinations, as one does, and then I put them onto a google drive presentation for Jake and me to review them in the morning. 



Jake and I had agreed on the title “Valedictorian” a while ago, so I decided that the logo should emulate the feeling of the title. My first few designs included a graduation cap, for obvious reasons, and even though they looked pretty good, I wanted to also imply that this title was a competition (obviously alluding to the fact that IT IS a competition in the film). So I decided to experiment with different symbols that portrayed that competition element. 

For example, in this logo prototype, the olive branches encapsulate the name and portray a sense of elegance and noble competition. Similar to those used in ancient Roman art to accompany power symbols or gladiator competitions. 

I also made two different types of cup symbols because I wasn’t sure of the one in color. The human eye is immediately drawn to the bright yellow instead of the letters, meaning it distracts from the main center of attention which should be the actual title. 





Finally, I texted Jake with a “surprise” and told him to go onto our Google Drive. To his surprise, there were 11 logo variations from which we could mix and match symbols and fonts! So we started to talk through each logo. We discussed what we liked about each one and what didn’t work. 

We both agreed that the color cup was distracting and way too much, it felt as if it was overpowering the title. Being between the two remaining symbols and lots of fonts, we started to mix and match. We actually created up to 15 different logos before deciding on the one. Finally, we decided on the font, we both agreed that the very first font was what we were looking for. It was futuristic but modern and bold but condensed. 



I then went back onto canvas and put the olive branches around it. After making them just a slightly bit bigger at Jake’s request, we had it! Now that the logo was done, I made some quick variations in color. 

While on a FaceTime call, I went onto our WeVideo project and added the new logo! We watched it over and it looked great on the screen! I also went ahead and added it to our website and (Oh! I need to post an update about that. Yeah, there’s been a few changes!) sent it into our cast group chat! 

With the logo done this is starting to come together really well! The logo looks amazing and it captures exactly what we were going for! It would even look good on some T-shirts 👀 

Signing off, 

No comments:

Post a Comment