Thursday, April 16, 2020

Final Editing Post [I Hope] (Post-production day #10)

Today my focus in editing went to three specific areas: joining the film together, revising the sound effects, and one final check on all audios.

Jake and I edited every scene of the film separate from each other, in the same editing timeline but with black space in the middle so that we could focus completely on one scene at a time without worrying about how every little edit we made along the way would affect the positioning of everything else in the timeline. After making sure we were satisfied with how everything has turned out I went over all of them once more before beginning the process of joining them together. I selected everything that belonged to a specific scene and dragged it to the place that it’s meant to go in all as a group. From a conversation with Tina, our lovely Cambridge instructor, we decided that we wanted to fade to white between scenes to mark the transition between virtual worlds. Without a fade to black would be too basic and not really appropriate in the context of the film, instead, we utilize afraid to wait while they were in the simulation and one single fade to black when we're back in the real world to mark the end of an entire sequence and the beginning of the resolution.

Once I was enjoying all the seams together I decided that it would be smart to include a motif that acted like an audio bridge between all of those fades to white. For that, I decided on the sound effect that we had previously used to mark the beginning of an announcement in the first scene. So I found a different sound effect the use in its place and decided to use that sound effect to create a motif that is broken once we transition into the real world. I want to take this opportunity to quickly go over and revise all the side effects that we have included to make sure that their audio levels were proper.

Lastly, I probably watch the film another seven times completely and possibly 15 times in fragment to try and catch small audio mistakes that could be easily fixed. One of the things that worked best in order to do this was actually to export the film as an audio file and just listen to it. I think I caught all the mistakes and we are all good when it comes to our audio and our soundscapes!

This is it! Hopefully, it is my last editing post! This project has been tough to edit, I have had nightmares, long nights, and spent countless hours sitting in front of a screen, but when I look at what we have created I would do it all over again and I'm proud to have done it.

Signing off,

No comments:

Post a Comment