Monday, April 6, 2020

Postcard Design

Happy Monday!

Today marked the start of an important week, there's lots to be done and if we are smart and productive about the way we go about completing those things, we’ll be in pretty good shape for the rest of the project’s duration! Today was a great start to that as we decided…or well, kind of decided… on our postcard!

Jake and I had talked about what we wanted the postcard to look like since we were filming the short film. For the front we thought it would be perfect to have it read like an invitation from the school, to stay consistent with the sense of branding and the concept we decided to pursue on our website. On the back of the postcard, it would read all the information for a special screening in our home town of Weston with the link to the website and the film’s social media handles. Simple enough right!? So I sat down on my computer, opened canva.com and design a mock-up for Jake and me to judge. I tried a couple of different ideas and designs (which you can see below), some using our original design idea and some using a mix of that and a template. 





Ultimately I ended up going with a simple purple background and a golden frame around the postcard with white-colored letters. I changed the logo of Stok High to fit the color scheme of the postcard by creating contrast, making the boxes white and the letters purple and matching the name to the boxes. For the back, I used a variety of fonts in different sizes and bolden levels to draw attention and provide the screening info. When I was done, it was looking pretty dang good! I sent it to Jake thinking that would be the final product; nonetheless, it wasn’t.  

Jake and I don’t have many disagreements, both in our creative works and in our personal lives, but we disagreed on the design of the postcard’s back. Jake thinks it seems too busy and I think that it’s fine. The things that the bold font that I used for “Special screening” competes with the attention of the short film’s logo, I disagree, I think that it draws attention very quickly and informs what it is the postcard is about whilst the logo is safeguarded because of its olive branches, I think they do a good job of breaking the design up. 



We both decided to deal with it later as we have editing and other things to get to this week. We’re hoping to meet with Tina, our Cambridge instructor, later this week so that will provide an opportunity for her to perhaps give us some feedback on the first draft design which will give me some sense of direction of what to go back and fix (or not). 

Signing off, 

No comments:

Post a Comment