Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Revising Scene One (Post-Production day #9)

As we get closer and closer to finishing the thumb completely, I decided to revisit scene one so that I could apply what I have learned and audio leveling since then and hopefully make it better than what it was. The scene wasn't bad, the audio was edited correctly for the most part and it was a really tough seem to edit dialogue for because there is so much emotion in the dialogue at certain points in time. .So I wasn't concerned for it, but it was a little rough around the edges and I wanted to fix it up a little; I didn't one scene one to look too rough compared to the audio later on in the film.

There were some rough cuts and some bad fades that were a quick fix, take a look at this example where I present a before and after this editing session:

See? Nothing too huge but noticeable! These are the kind of edits that I went back to do for scene one. I spent a good chunk of time detailedly going back through the scene to catch little mistakes I have made previously during editing or things that could have been improved. When I was done I moved on to integrate special effect sounds and stings. The beach scene does a great job utilizing stings and sound effects to build the tone of the scene and help it flow, knowing that there was a big intense point early in seen one I wanted to go back and make sure we have backings stings that reinforced the tension and intensity of that sequence.

Believe it or not, we video has some hidden gems in its audio library, they can be quite useful and in our case, there were some audios that we are a good fit for the film. So I found this thing and matched the editing to it which was only off by a few frames so it wasn't too much trouble. Take a look:


Great difference! I also worked on the sound effects that led to the first announcement, to make sure that they also were good. Jake and I tried very hard at the beginning to include music after Garrett's elimination for seen one since virtually every other scene except for the real world have music or some sort of background soundscape. Nonetheless, none of the music that Jake found really fitted the scene, and after carefully reviewing it we decided it would be best to include any music in it.
This also parallels the real world being at the first challenge both the audience and the competitors should be somewhat confused about their setting. But after Garrett's elimination, it should be clearer that they are in some sort of simulation.

This editing session went really well, I'm very happy with the results, and I can't wait to finish!

Signing off,

No comments:

Post a Comment